Scalp Micro-pigmentation (also SMP) is a medical-grade process of deploying pigments into the upper dermal layer of the skin on the scalp. This procedure causes the hair follicle to replicate in the scalp, giving the appearance of a natural shaved head. SMP hair follicles per square inch can vary from hundreds to thousands of pigmented dots. If you are suffering from hair loss problems, here are some info on the scalp micropigmentation services we’re offering to help you.
However, after your scalp micropigmentation treatment, you may wonder how long the benefits of scalp micropigmentation will last and what about aftercare procedures to maintain long-term results of SMP.
After your scalp micropigmentation procedure, it’s important that you’re following aftercare instructions for scalp micropigmentation. Want to know how? Keep reading this post to the end.
Scalp Micropigmentation Aftercare Tips To Follow After Your Treating Session
In general, after SMP treatment, you would like to treat your scalp like an open wound. Don’t wash your scalp and do keep it clean. No chlorinated pools, saunas, steam rooms, or tanning beds for 30 days after your final treatment. This will ensure a good, long-lasting result.
Short-term Scalp Micropigmentation Aftercare
After your treatment, it is important to follow these short-term care instructions to allow the pigments to settle in.
1. During Your First 4 Days
The most important rule to take care of your scalp in this period is not to wash your head. After your SMP procedures, washing your head might seem to be very tempting, but don’t do it. In the first 4 days, your scalp is still sensitive and if you add water to your head, you can damage it. Besides, try not to shave your head and touch the treated area
2. Day 5 to Day 7
Throughout this period, you should avoid:
- Sweating heavily: Try to avoid taking part in tough cardio sessions during this time. Excessive sweating can lead to an interruption in the healing process.
- Scrubbing and shampooing – Scrubbing the scalp can make your wounds open, and shampooing will add harsh chemicals.
- Exposure to sunlight – UV rays can lead to sunburn and sun damage for your scalp.
- Touching with hands – Touching your scalp with your hands too much can increase the risk of infection.
During the first 7 days, make sure you’re drinking plenty of water and taking any medication as prescribed. You can gently rinse your scalp and clean the area with a wet cloth to keep it clean.
If you want to shave your head, now would be a good time to do it. It’s important to use an electric foil shaver. When you’re shaving your head, minimize any scabs that may still be visible on your head. You can apply small amounts of water to your head. At this time, you can get back to your showering sessions, but remember to take a quick, light shower, but stay away from sulfate shampoo.
3. Day 8 to Day 14
For days 8 to 14 after the procedure, your head should be looking much better and healing nicely. However, it is still healing. You should make sure that you’re still following an aftercare routine. In the next 5 days, you should still avoid the following:
- Scratching the scalp – The skin on your scalp could start to peel during these next few days. It’s important to refrain from scratching or picking any scabs that may form.
- Using irritants that could cause inflammation and disturb the healing process.
- Using the moisturiser.
- Wet shaving with a razor blade for 10 days after each session of the procedure.
If necessary, carefully shave or cut your hair. You can wash the treated area gently with water and soap. Applying a little bit of moisturizer will also enhance the healing stage during this period. But make sure it’s fragrance-free.
4. Day 15 and onward
After 15 days, your scalp may recover enough to switch to your daily routine. You may be scheduled for your next treatment session after 15 days. Before your next follow-up session, you will be asked to wash your head and shave your hair.
Long-term aftercare Scalp Micropigmentation Aftercare
For long-term care, there are many steps and activities for you to follow:
- For the first month, do not go to chlorinated pools, saunas, and steam rooms.
- For the treated area, UV rays are harmful. Therefore, make sure to put sunscreen into your skin before going out. Use sunscreen with at least SPF 50+. For the first month avoid getting a tan on the treated area.
- Use fragrance-free, antibacterial soap for the first month if you want to wash your scalp.
- Use moisturiser right after taking a shower and before going to bed to keep your scalp moisturized.
- Do not use AHA-containing products in the treatment area because it will make the pigment fade.
- Stay off products that contain a high concentration of alcohol.
The Final Thoughts
If you want to keep your look fresh and new after your treatment, just keep following this guideline. After all, if you want the best results, some extra effort needs to be made.
Do not forget to contact your Scalp Micropigmentation technician if you have any questions during your recovery process.
Get a Free Quote Menu in the nearest SMP Service Provider near you and experience SMP.